Goals for the Nambale Magnet School
The Nambale Magnet School:
- Houses, educates and nurtures children who are orphaned by the AIDS pandemic.
- Provides the orphans the opportunity for successful, self-reliant lives.
- Creates economic stimulus to the Nambale community by providing jobs and a stable future for the students and their community.
- Offers a safe, nurturing environment for orphans and decreases the burden on already strained family members.
Distinctive in Design
The Nambale Magnet School:
- Incorporates an academic program that serves and educates children of all skill levels and aptitudes.
- Will provide both vocational and agricultural programs and a college preparatory academic track.
- Includes ecologically sustainable features, which are user friendly, to help preserve the environment. Further measures are in process.
- Is built for permanence. The quality of construction will stand the test of time; it will not need to be re-built in 6-7 years.
- Brings the impoverished Nambale community together. The fully integrated facility will have a positive effect on an estimated 67,000 people, through jobs, education, and the use ecological technology.
- Is a beacon of hope to the community and, with the community center in place at the final stage of construction, will serve as a meeting place where ideas, information and knowledge will be exchanged. Additionally, the center will also attract Kenyan business people to the area, increasing financial stability in Nambale.
A Premier School
The Nambale Magnet School:
- Boarding schools exist throughout Kenya but few are available to provide a quality education to the orphaned population.
- Education is highly valued in Kenya. It is recognized as a means to a better quality of life. Kenyan parents recognize the weakness of the Kenyan public school system, and whenever possible will make sacrifices to send their children to private boarding schools.
- The school will attract tuition-paying students from all over Kenya by its rigorous programs and highly qualified teachers. Currently due to its outstanding performance record there are no shortages of paying students interest in the school. Nambale Magnet School offers an academic curriculum and facilities that make it one of Kenya’s outstanding schools for a premiere education.
Hires highly qualified teachers.
- The Nambale Magnet School offers a competitive curriculum with top performing teachers to ensure it’s competitive position within this market.
- The School attracts and hires very highly qualified teachers. An incentive we are hoping to put in place in our expansion is an on-campus teacher housing option. Quality teachers ensure that the school’s national test scores meet the highest levels, and thereby enhance the school’s reputation and lay the foundation for on-going success.
Is already achieving recognition with high scores on national testing. In the recent 4th Grade exams, the Nambale Magnet School was ranked number one in the entire district.
- A nationalized test is given to all Kenyan children in 8th grade. Results determine placement into secondary schools. Children who do well on these tests will go on to higher academic pursuits. Consequently, elementary schools (1- 8th grade) are competitively ranked, based on student performance of the 8th grade tests. The higher the scores, the more desirable the school.
Mixed Student Population
- Ultimately, to include grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade.
- A total student body of 420 students.
– 30 students per grade level
– One classroom per grade level
– Each year one additional grade is being added
- An equal mix of orphans and tuition paying students.
– Inclusion of a diverse student body will provide orphans with a mainstream experience, and, thereby, minimize social stigmatization.
– 50% orphans due to the AIDS pandemic. The orphans are chosen by a lottery system in order to ensure that everyone gets an equal chance to attend regardless of religion, tribal affiliation, family finances, etc.
- 50% tuition paying students.
– Contributes to the financial stability of the school.
– The inclusion of these two groups creates a bridge to compassion.
Meeting Students Individual Needs
The Nambale Magnet School will offer three educational tracks to address each student’s individual innate talents:
The Vocational Program
While some students will be academically driven others will find a vocational route the means to a productive life. A vocational program such as mechanics will enable these students to master a profession that will enhance their lives and contribute to their families and their community.
The Agricultural Program
Subsistence farming is prevalent in Nambale. However, skilled farming production and animal husbandry is not at a level that can financially sustain families and their communities. Modern agricultural skills are essential for the development of a self-sustaining community.
Employs a Social Worker
A social worker to assist the students, especially the orphaned children, who need to address significant emotional issues in order to succeed in this new environment. The orphans, in particular, experience an adjustment period and need support. Additionally, the extreme emotional difficulties inherent in being an orphan need to be addressed to allow for successful emotional development. The social worker helps to screen the children to ensure the poorest of the poor are selected and also follows up with the children during school breaks.